Few aspects of the traditional Japanese garden are as instantly recognizable as the elegant, distinctive contours of a well-maintained Japanese maple. This one-day workshop provides a basic understanding for these special maples found in a Japanese garden through a guided, thematic garden tour, lectures on cultural contexts, and various types of maple pruning methods and techniques. In the afternoon, participants will be able to put their skills to the test on a maple tree and go over the basic pruning techniques together with the Chief Curator, Sadafumi Uchiyama.
Tickets will be limited and there will be a lottery system to provide equal opportunity for participation among members. There will only be one lottery for both workshop date options. Selected participants will be contacted by June 24, 2022.
Please find more information below:
- This is a one-day workshop with two date options. There are 10 participants per day.
- Location for the workshop is at Portland Japanese Garden, with the potential of the afternoon, hands-on session to be off-site at our new Japan Institute campus at 2640 NW Alexandra Avenue, Portland, OR 97210 (3 miles away). Please stay tuned as we are currently finalizing details.
- Participants must observe the Garden’s current COVID safety guidelines as we will be following CDC and government protocols.
- When entering your submission for the lottery, you will be asked to sign a waiver.
- Participants should bring their own lunch, a reusable drinking cup or water bottle, and of course, sun protection such as a hat and/or sunscreen.
- Please bring a sanitized pruner. If you don’t have one, we will have some to loan, or you can purchase one from our Gift Shop (don’t forget that members receive a 10% discount).
- Printed educational material will be provided.
- Please allow ample time for parking and arrive around 8:45 a.m. at the Welcome Center for check-in. If you’re able to, please consider taking alternative transport because of limited parking in Washington Park. For more info about getting here and parking, please see here.
- Event fees are non-refundable and take place rain or shine, so please dress appropriately for the weather.
Questions? If you have questions regarding membership benefits or our lottery system, please contact Director of Membership, Megan Adams.
We are looking forward to welcoming you here for the workshop.